Senior Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager
The Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager will be responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of OSISA wide strategic planning, accountability, learning and monitoring evaluation strategy.
Deadline: June 8th, 2018
Deadline: June 8th, 2018
Deadline: June 22nd, 2018
OSISA is a growing African institution committed to deepening democracy, protecting human rights and enhancing good governance in the region. It‘s vision is to promote and sustain the ideals, values, institutions and practices of open society, with the aim of establishing vibrant and tolerant southern African democracies in which people, free from material and other deprivation, understand their rights and responsibilities and participate actively in all spheres of life.
In pursuance of this vision, OSISA‘s mission is to initiate and support programmes working towards open society ideals and to advocate for these ideals in southern Africa. Established in 1997, OSISA works in 10 southern Africa countries: Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. OSISA works differently in each of these ten countries, according to local conditions.
OSISA seeks to recruit for the following key position: Programme Manager: Senior Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager
The Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager will be responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of OSISA wide strategic planning, accountability, learning and monitoring evaluation strategy. S/he will support the Executive Office to develop and manage strategic planning, internal and external accountability and learning frameworks. S/he will assist programme clusters to develop annual Learning, M&E plans, track, and monitor and evaluate results of OSISA's programmes. S/he will provide frameworks, policies and procedures for Learning and M&E and will ensure regular reporting and compliance. S/he will analyse data and communicate key lessons and good practices that can be incorporated into other programmes to strengthen the achievement of the overall OSISA strategy. The Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager is responsible for a cross-cutting programme that seeks to create an environment that prioritizes continuous inquiry, learning, and knowledge sharing to ensure consistent standards of excellence across programmes. The Strategy, Accountability & Learning Manager provides guidance and leadership on matters related to learning and assessment for staff and grantees and the integration of the organizational values into the work environment and products.
S/he also represents OSISA externally and ensures that the organization develops and communicates clear positions regarding its approach to monitoring, evaluation and accountability. S/he will embed effective and efficient planning and reporting processes throughout the organisation to ensure we plan collaboratively to achieve OSISA’s strategy. S/he will also link planning and reporting to enable the organisation to integrate learning into planning.
This role will work closely with the Head of Programmes developing processes & frameworks that will be implemented in OSISA Programmes.
- Develops and embed planning process, which succesfully translate OSSIA's strategic agenda into Regional and Country plans.
- Ensures collaboration across the organisation with respect to strong linkages between M&E, Accountability, Capability Development and Organisational Learning.
- Monitors and evaluates the planning process and project manage specific improvements identifying and utilising cross- function teams or resources.
- Promotes practices and contributes to the continuous improvement of transparency and accountability in the organisation.
- Champions a culture of mutual accountability moving beyond compliance to ownership and commitment.
- Oversees the implementation of the Accountability Framework.
- Develops and manages the mutual accountability framework. Influencing the organisation on issues of standards, compliance and accountability based on the accountability framework.
- Develop fit for purpose and efficient accountability reporting systems that will be owned by the organisation.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Develops a monitoring and evaluation framework that will be implemented in all OSISA programmes.
- Develops innovative user-friendly processes and methodologies for monitoring and assessing the impact of all OSISA’s work and setting in high standards for organisational performance.
- Develops tools and templates to support all programme clusters and provide relevant data that can be used to monitor and evaluate the progress, success and impact of the programme.
- Ensuring that these are adequately incorporated at the stage of planning and designing.
- Gathers data from the completed templates in all programmes as well by consulting programme staff.
- Provides M&E specialist advice and guidance as and when required by programme clusters.
- Oversees independent programme and thematic evaluations.
- Develop and apply criteria to measure the effectiveness and outcomes of programmes and projects through the use of the identified methodologies to engage all levels of the organization to reflect, renew, change and improve performance.
- Work closely with OSISA staff to identify aspects of their programme to assess, evaluate, or monitor and assist them to apply the identified methodologies and to incorporate the learning.
- Plays a key role in OSISA’s contribution to external debates ensuring effective influencing and involvement in appropriate forums relating to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (both external influencing and using learning from external developments to influence).
- Ensures that M&E systems and methodologies are in place to monitor progress against OSISA strategy.
Capacity Building Initiatives
- Provides technical assistance to programme clusters in setting goals and objectives for desired programme results and reporting progress and outcomes within the M&E Framework.
- Leads on capacity building approaches to M & E content.
- Proactively develop and implement capacity-building initiatives based on lessons learnt from other programmes.
- Works with programmes to ensure understanding of their role in the accurate and consistent monitoring and evaluation of their activities within the M&E framework.
- Provides advice on specific measurement techniques where appropriate for different programme clusters.
- Promotes a healthy spirit of teamwork and communication within the OSISA team through regular meetings and exchange of information.
- Ensures a team leadership approach that fosters information sharing, learning, and growth.
- Lead creative and innovative initiatives to promote and integrate the organizational values into the performance of duties and tasks on a daily basis.
- Put in place mechanisms to foster healthy inter-office communication and collaboration.
Staff, Board and Grantees Learning and Training
- Promotes an office environment that encourages innovative thinking and knowledge sharing.
- In coordination with the executive director’s office, organize all-staff trainings/meetings at least three times in a year to ensure consistent standards of excellence across programmes.
- Organize monthly conversations for staff to ensure exposure to new ideas and developments in various fields.
- Creates learning opportunities to improve OSISA network programme collaboration.
- Support the Executive Director to organize learning sessions at board meetings to enable the board to understand better the issues that OSISA and its partners advance on a day-to-day basis.
- Collaborates with the Senior Grants and Partnership Manager to support programme staff to design, implement, and follow up institutional strengthening of grantees in their portfolios.
- Creates a roster of organizational development and capacity building consultants in the region that can be used as a resource by program staff and grantee organizations.
Data Analysis and Reporting
- Monitors the progress and impact of OSISA’s programmes.
- Consolidates all the M&E information gathered into a relevant management report.
- Analyse data and identify areas of concern, opportunities for improvement and lessons learnt.
- Present reports relevant to the Executive Director and relevant management structures.
- Manage the learning and assessment objectives of the various programs through periodic meetings, and reflections
Analytical Thinking, Pragmatic, Interacting and presenting, Planning & Organisation, and Collaboration.
- A Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Management or Business Administration with emphasis on Strategy Development, Programme Management, Monitoring and Evaluation and Knowledge Management.
- A combination of professional experience and academic training.
- At least six to eight years’ experience working in a monitoring, learning and evaluation role.
Interested applicants should forward a one-page cover letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the relevant position as the subject heading.
Closing date for submission is 22 June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.
OSISA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Building vibrant and tolerant democracies.